New Part: Head (2/2)

posted in: Machining Projects | 0

I finally found time to finish this piece I started some time ago . My intention , as in all parts I’m doing was trying different techniques by increasingly complex parts. In this case , the idea was to practice flipping a piece, and check back after turning that I was able to finish machining preserving the origins and squaring the two halves properly. Let’s see how it went :

First, I had to re-anchor the middle piece finished in the correct position. Supported by two points , as it was before, but rotated 180 º. First problem I checked , the piece YA is not resting on the ground , and now there is a degree of freedom , rotation about the axis of the screw . Anyway, I’m learning. Solution simple , put a block of wood , which happily average just enough to prevent this movement.
Secondly, make zero again with respect to the workpiece , which I did thoroughly , and checking that if I move the tool corresponding units , I can walk the perimeter of the part accurately. Once done, proceed to the first roughing :

93c45-img_20130804_204917
3d9b0-img_20130804_210000
Once completed roughing and filling all of dust … (I have to invent something to hold the tube, or a skirt for the tool and do not spill everything everywhere) I notice that it all went fine. I note that in the Y axis, all passes are very stuck on the side of the left, which means it really is all moved about 2mm. Well, the problem is still not serious, before starting the finishing pass, I could move the workpiece in the Y axis 2mm. With this I hope to correct the problem.
7905a-img_20130815_125836
First stage roughing, and it seems that the displacement is corrected. Spherical mill D10mm, and paths every 2mm. Offset to the area of ​​0.5 mm
73d98-img_20130815_132143
Second stage roughing mill with the spherical D4,5mm. This time I put the mill down enough to not have to touch the mill holder with the piece itself. This was the failure I had in the first part of the piece, making the face markings.
72b91-img_20130815_135322

The result is as expected, at least with respect to the 3D model. But to have it finished, would have to make two more phases, the side, as the detail of the ears and around the side, obviously can not be done with a 3-axis. Be an operation that already Carries out later.

As seen in the photos, it has not been bad, for the first time this type of complexity is performed. We have learned quite a few interesting details, so when something like repeat, do not make the same mistakes.